EST 2 Mapping fault

chaos821

EST 2 Mapping fault

Post by chaos821 »

The customer asked for a price to replace a duct detector head. I removed the head from the base to get a model number. When I replaced the smoke detector, the panel showed a dev/line error for that device. And also a mapping error. I did a cpu restart, that didn't solve the problem. I also did a slc restart. Same troubles still exist. The green light on the smoke detector is flashing. Is there any way to fix these errors without plugging a computer in? The owner does not want to use the installer for this system anymore. I'm hoping for a better solution, so he doesn't have to call them out there.

On an EST 2, can you usually replace a device without having to reprogram?
Leo
Site Admin

Re: EST 2 Mapping fault

Post by Leo »

when a device is replace on an EST2,EST3 or QuickStart a mapping error occasionally will happen.

the wires needs to go back under the some terminals (in and out)
replace with the same device type, replace a Siga-PS with a Siga-PSH you will always get a mapping error.

The term Balance Map is used a Lot with the EST SLC device loop.
when devices are balanced on the SLC loop the system can not tell where the devices are on the wire and it needs to know that for a one to one replacement of a Siga device on the SLC loop.

With the SDU program you can look at the SLC map and see which if any devices are balanced on the map.
But no one does because the system will run error free with balance devices, until you need to replace one.

put the old device back and see if the map error clears, if so balance map,
get the SDU database for the system from the install company and find a new one.
( south jersey area PM me)
chaos821

Post by chaos821 »

I haven't replaced the old device with a new one yet. When I put the existing one back on, that's when the trouble appeared. Is it possible it wasn't in the configuration? When it was tested it didn't work, that's why it is being replaced. Maybe the panel didn't see it there until I plugged it back in?
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

Sometimes the only way to make a mapping fault clear is by connecting your pc to the system.
Robert137

Post by Robert137 »

That has been my experience. I have taken a module or head out, and get a map fault when I put it back in. I always have to connect with the PC and reconcile with the new map and all goes back to normal. EST-2's are notorious for picking up on small changes in the loop. I have experienced moving wires and getting a map fault because of a change in resistance.
Fireworks

Post by Fireworks »

chaos821 wrote:I haven't replaced the old device with a new one yet. When I put the existing one back on, that's when the trouble appeared. Is it possible it wasn't in the configuration? When it was tested it didn't work, that's why it is being replaced. Maybe the panel didn't see it there until I plugged it back in?
I see you question if the detector had been previously configured, remove the detector and see if there is a comm fault message for the detector. If there is not
then most likely it was not configured. If there is a message then it would have been configured.
old_tech

Post by old_tech »

Chaos, that's where you screwed up. You should have ran a sensitivity report to get the model number.
chaos821

Post by chaos821 »

old_tech wrote:Chaos, that's where you screwed up. You should have ran a sensitivity report to get the model number.

I didn't screw up. Any other alarm panel would get a trouble when you remove the device. But the trouble clears when the device is reinstalled. The EST 2 panel is just flaky. You shouldn't have to re-download the configuration every time you remove a device.
mspencex

Post by mspencex »

There is a cure, but won't many EST guys tell you this. They make big bucks fixing that mapping fault. All you have to do is go to programming, select reconfigure, put in the password, it will ask which loops, hit enter, and wait. Reconfigure is essentially EST's auto program. I have used it to many times to count. There is a limit to the number of devices it can do, and a mapping error that can't be corrected is a possibility.

One things for sure, it won't do anymore harm than has already been done. If you only removed one device, you should have been able to put in a replacement device with a new serial number, and not had a problem. EST field wiring can only have so many t-taps. You may be close to that limit, which made mapping difficult for the processor, and causing the mapping error.

You could also turn mapping off, but you will cause a trouble in the process.

Give the reconfigure a shot. you may have to run it two, or three times. I'll have those that disagree, but believe me, it has saved me on numerous occasions.

Good Luck
Leo
Site Admin

Post by Leo »

Thanks for this.
I'm a little nervous doing it with a system that I do not have the database for.
I am going to try it.

Good tip, thanks