Creating a test book

tAP135

Creating a test book

Post by tAP135 »

Need to create a test book for the job that I am on.

Anyone know how to do this?

thanks
Leo
Site Admin

Re: Creating a test book

Post by Leo »

if you are looking for a list of devices that you can print try this post.
http://www.thealarmtech.com/forum/viewt ... lit=report
if this is not what you are looking for, please explain.
tAP135

Post by tAP135 »

Not looking to print a list of device. I know there are a few way to print out lists. Looking for this specific type of print out.

I am looking to create what I call a test book. On the title page it says "Commissioning Inspection Report". It lists the device/location - Date - Tech - Comments. Bottom of page it has check boxes for "See Errata Sheet #1", "See Errata Sheet #2","See Errata Sheet #__". I was told that it can not be done through the SDU.

Any clues/Ideas would be great?

Thanks.
SamTheMan

Post by SamTheMan »

There is no automated process in 3-SDU that will create a Commissioning Inspection Report.

Here is a basic walk through. I am going to assume the following:

- You have access to 3-SDU and the sdu program
- You are running Windows XP and have an understanding of file types
- You have access to Microsoft Excel 2000 and up and have a working knowledge of it. I am using Excel 2002 so your import process may differ slightly from mine.

With some Excel know-how it is a relatively easy process, just requires some time.

1. In 3-SDU, go to 'Options' -> 'Export Gateway Files' and save the files in a location you can access. What you will want is the .OXP file.

1a. If this message appears "ERROR: No ECP/Gateway PROJECT CANNOT BE EXPORTED!" you will need to make a change to the program. Start with 'Configure' -> 'Cabinet' then select the 'Ports' tab. You should see 'Port 1 Type' and it will say 'Printer', 'None', or one of the other options. Change this to 'Gateway'. Hit 'Close' on the bottom right hand corner and go back to Step 1.

2. The OXP file contains all system points, physical, Sudo Points and new points 'DB_Out_Of_Sync_with_CPU_Card' that were created when the Port changes to Gateway. Depending on the program size, I normally manually delete all the lines within the OXP that I do no want, including the first 7 Lines up to **Start Data**. To do this, Right Click the OXP file and select 'Open With' and open the program with notepad. When you save it after you modifications, do 'File' -> 'Save As' "projectname.txt".

3. Open Excel, go to 'Data' -> 'Import External Data' -> 'Import Data'. Navigate to "projectname.txt"

4. In the "Text Import Wizard" Choose the 'Delimited' option, keep the import line at "1" and click Next

5. You will see check boxes that say 'Tab', 'Semicolon', etc. Unselect all check boxes. Select the check box 'Other' and type in "*" without the quotations. That is (shift+8). Choose Next.

6. Select the column that has the address in it and change the 'Column Data Format' to text. Do the same with 'Device Type' column if you also want this in your report. Otherwise, you will lose all your 0's. Click Finish then Ok.

7. Delete Columns that you don't need and Add Columns for the Tech, Date and Comments. I would change the page layout to Landscape so it fits better.

8. Make headers and footers to your hearts content.

After the first one, it will become much easier since you can use the one you just created as a template.
tAP135

Post by tAP135 »

Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out.

I was under the impression that there was a program that printed it out for you. That is what I was looking for. I guess I assumed that it was a program associated with the EST and not one that my office had made using the gateway files.
radiotrack1

Post by radiotrack1 »

MOD

Can we make this a sticky?