WinPak SE\PE 3.0 intermittent freezing on client machines

Winpak-PE/SE , NStar, N1000, PW2000
robertm

Re: WinPak SE\PE 3.0 intermittent freezing on client machine

Post by robertm »

Hi

I think I am having the exact same issue.

I've got WinPak2 (670.16) installed on a 2008R2 server with the database running on a 2008R2 SP2 SQL Server.

I've never dealt with WinPak before. I am the server admin, and the tech on site worked with me to get WinPak installed. For the first few days, it worked fine. Now whenever you open the User Interface on a client PC or on the server, it goes into "Not Responding" mode. If you restart the server, it may work for a few minutes, but the issue eventually comes back.

One possible cause that I have come up with is that we patched the server a few days ago (about the time the issue started) and one of the patches that we applied was SQL2008R2 SP2. I assume it was on SP0 or SP1 before, not sure.

Anybody know if this could be the cause?
robertm

Post by robertm »

We have not seen the issue come back after removing SQL 2008 R2 SP2, so I'm 99% sure this was our issue.

You can see whether SP2 is installed by doing this:

Open the Control Panel
Click Programs and Features
On the left pane, click 'View Installed Updates'
Highlight SQL 2008 R2 SP2 and click 'Remove'

I believe that a reboot of the server is required.

Hope this helps.
robertm

Post by robertm »

THe issue is back, so forget what I posted above. I'll post back when we solve the issue.
Hallingm

WinPak SE\PE 3.0 intermittent freezing on client machines

Post by Hallingm »

Hi,

I have WinPak SE/PE 3.0 installed on a VM (server) with multiple client interfaces, I am having intermittent problems with the client interfaces freezing (not responding) when i access the server all serivces seem to be running however when i try to log into the winpak interface on the server I get the not responding error. the only remediy to the issue is to restart the server along with the services.

Anyone expericed this issu before?

Server (VM) 2008 R2 windows server
WinPak SE/PE 3.0
Work group environment

Help anyone - Cheers