N1000 - RS232 - C command has no effect

Winpak-PE/SE , NStar, N1000, PW2000
dookie

N1000 - RS232 - C command has no effect

Post by dookie »

We have a security system driven by a N1000 IV. There's a mag lock and a HID keypad/prox sensor at the front door.

The previous occupant left this system in place and gave us the PIN which we currently enter on the keypad to unlock the doors. They had no clue who originally installed the system, and they did not know how to reprogram it.

I would like to reprogram the PIN to something unique, and also add a couple of fobs we have lying around. We do not have access to any of the software used to program the unit (=> BIG problem if there's an extended power failure and the system gets wiped). I called several local security companies to see if they would perform this job, but ALL of them say the system is "too old" and that we'd have to redo everything, including the wiring. We have been quoted 2500 on the low end and 5000+ on the high end.

After finding the PDF manual on google and this forum, I managed to hook up a null modem cable to the access panel's RS232 port and connected to it from a terminal. I can interact with the access panel using the raw commands in the manual, and I also see log messages of people entering code into the pad, keypad reading fob ids, and the door opening/closing.

First question is, what are the minimum set of commands I can enter to "back up" the current settings, so that if the memory ever gets wiped or if I want to return to a known working state, I can reconstruct it? For example, I've copy/pasted the outputs from the various R subcommands.

Second, I tried using the "C" command to add a key fob which is currently not in the system ("NF" status when read), but none of my changes are taking effect. For example, if I do something like "_C=1_12345_1_1", the panel will report "OK", but if I check the code database report right after, the 12345 entry is not listed. (edit: I got it to work using subcommand 2. I can enter my own codes and add cards now)

Third, if I install the "WinPak" software found on this forum, will that work with the system? Obviously I do not have a license for it...
Leo
Site Admin

Re: N1000 - RS232 - C command has no effect

Post by Leo »

you can not backup the system with out the software
you can print/display all the card number info with a R command which is like a backup
winpak will not work without a license
a good alarm company/guy will be able to use the old wire if you were going to replace it.
a days labor and the winpak software more then likely will do it.
look for a small company that knows winpak well, if you do not install winpak all the time it is no fun.